Mother’s Restaurant opened its doors in 1938 on “Restaurant Row” in New Orleans, situated between a thriving waterfront and the courthouse. Owners Simon and Mary (Mother) Landry and their large family cooked up po’ boys for lines of longshoremen and laborers, newspapermen and attorneys. During and after World War II, Mother’s became a local hang-out for “the few and the proud” – the U.S. Marine Corps. The Marine spirit was in the family – five of the seven Landry children joined the Marine Corps. Francis Landry was the first woman in Louisiana to be accepted into the Corps. This special association with the Marines earned Mother’s the title of “TUN Tavern New Orleans” in the late 1960s. The original TUN tavern was the official birthplace of the Marines during the Revolutionary War.